How to Run a Mud Run: the beginner’s guide to getting muddy

Filed in Running by Lisa on May 4, 2012 45 Comments

Mud runs are getting very popular. These days, however, it isn’t just mud you need to worry about–it is paint, foam, live electrical wires, etc.  What’s next, shark tanks? There is something refreshing about a good old fashioned mud run (although extreme obstacles are pretty darn FUN). I will be running the original mud run (again) in a few weeks-the World Famous Camp Pendleton Mud Run.

I remember when I ran my first mud run. We had no idea what we were doing. Four of us signed up for a mud run in San Diego and were ready for a great time. I learned a lot. Since then I have done six other mud runs. I think that makes me an unofficial expert in running them. I was talking to a mom at my kids’ school the other day who is running Camp Pendleton as her first. As she was asking questions, I realized that it would be helpful to post some of my experiences.  So, without further ado, here are some ideas for making your mud run a lot of fun!

You will get muddy.  Duh…of course.  But you may find mud in places that surprise you.  My brother couldn’t put his Bluetooth in his ear after our last mud run because of mud. If you are one of those people who hates being dirty, skip the mud run and sign up for a local 5K or 10K.

Run with friends. Most mud runs have a team option. Often, the team must start and end at the same time in order to be counted. In my opinion, this is the way to go. Why go out there and try to run super fast for a time when you can giggle and get muddy with your friends? Part of the fun is coming up with a clever team name and costumes.

Wear a costume. I ran two mud runs in regular dark clothing that wouldn’t show mud stains. The first time I ran Camp Pendleton, however, I realized we were missing out on some of the fun. Our before and after pictures weren’t nearly as impressive with our dark clothing. The most fun I have had is when I have dressed up. Last year, I ran in a wedding dress and never had so much fun. Last weekend, I ran as a bridesmaid while my friend donned the wedding dress (and actually got married). Those are the moments that make me so thankful to be a runner. I have seen Oompa Loompas, Teletubbies, Ghostbusters, men in skirts….you name it, all in the name of fun.

After shot

Tie your shoes nice and tight. Some people might tell you to use duct tape. Don’t. My first mud run provided duct tape at the starting line, so we assumed it was the best thing to do. All of us ended up ripping it off by the end of the race. It works well for a while and then the end starts peeling off and dragging or flopping about. Very annoying.  Yes, sometimes mud can pull your shoe right off, but not often. When I ran The Gladiator Rock ‘N Run last weekend, we saw discarded duct tap everywhere on the course.

Wear socks that go at least to your ankles. I wore low cut no-show socks for my first mud run. They ended up underneath my foot at the bottom of my shoe. Since I had used the old duct tape trick and it was before I peeled off in a sticky mess, I couldn’t stop and adjust my sock.  It just annoyed me the entire race.

Wear old shoes. You won’t want to wear them again.  I just use some old running shoes that I don’t wear any more. Luckily, with as much running as I do, I have plenty of old shoes.  Some races have a special place to leave the shoes for donation. If you don’t have old shoes, don’t worry…they will come clean. I know plenty of people who throw them in the washer or hose them off. A couple of my friends hose their shoes off and save them for the next mud run.

Gladiator Run Shoe Donation

Shoe Donation

Be willing to throw away any item of clothing that you wear.  I have been able to wash just about anything from these races, but you never know.  Sometimes it is more trouble to get them clean.

Bring a garbage sack (or two) to bring your muddy stuff home. For the stuff that you don’t want to throw away, you will want something to carry them home in. Your clothes will be muddy and wet.

Wear tight fitting clothing. Baggy or ill-fitting clothing will drag you down. Pants or shorts that are too big will fall down. This is not the time for those comfy fleece sweats.  But, be aware that you will get wet.  This is not the time for a nice tight white shirt, unless you are entering a wet t-shirt contest. My friends and I did wear white last year, but we made sure we had plenty of layers to ensure we weren’t exposing too much.

Keep your mouth shut. This is tough, because you will probably be laughing a lot. The mud doesn’t taste so good.

Bring a waterproof camera. The photo ops are great. I have always bought a disposable waterproof camera and had it developed afterwards.

Duck walk instead of crawl.  During the race, if you are small enough, go through tunnels etc. on your feet instead of your knees. Those obstacles are usually corrugated metal or they have gravel and they can be murder on your knees. No matter what, these obstacles are awkward and difficult to get through. Try to make it as unscathed as possible.

Be prepared to wait.  Sometimes you have to wait to go through mud pits or obstacles. As a runner, used to going for PR’s, this was hard to get used to. Realize that this happens during most of these races and it is part of the experience. It is fine if you aren’t running at a sprint the entire time. If you don’t want to wait, start at the very front of the pack.  It is actually a good idea to start near the front in order to minimize the backups.

Bring a change of clothes. You do not want to ride home in your muddy clothing. I like to change into a pair of sweats and the race t-shirt.  Don’t forget clean underwear!

Skip the shower. I know this sounds gross, but there is usually a very long line for COLD showers. Bring towels in your car and wait until you get home to take a nice long, hot shower. A great tip is to put a jug of water in your car.  When you get done, it should have warmed up nicely and you can give yourself a little sponge bath–enough to get you by until you get home. An empty, rinsed out laundry detergent bottle works great.  Note: this tip also works well for trips to the beach.

Have fun!  Isn’t that the reason to do these races? There was a girl in last weekend’s race that was complaining the entire time through the first mud pit. Her socks got wet/muddy, it was slimy, she got splashed with mud. I wanted to turn to her and tell her to turn back and quit then (we were still very early in the 4+ mile race). Go into the race ready for anything and embrace the fun.

All smiles after getting muddy. The two on the left were first-time mud runners! Photo courtesy of AllanaRene Photography (http://alannarene.blogspot.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/AlannaRenePhotography)

Here are some mud run race reports.

Do you have a mud run race report?  Leave the link!

Pinterest

Tags: , ,

About the Author ()

I am a mom, a runner and a coach. I discovered a passion for fitness and running in my early forties while trying to "find" myself after becoming a stay-at-home mom. Since 2008, I have run one ultra marathon, seven marathons, twenty half marathons, numerous trail races and various shorter races. I am certified as a running coach, in pre- and post-natal fitness, HIIT classes and am pursuing my certification as a personal trainer.

Comments (45)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. amy says:

just ran tough mudder april 28th, as my first mud run I will have to a. i am addicted and b. these tips are highly valuable!

2. Savage Race says:

These are very useful mud run tips, thanks for sharing! I especially like the idea to store a jug of water in your car and use it to wash the mud off after the race.

3. alma rios says:

omg!!thanks for all the great tips you gave!!
    What kind of socks do you recommend? I heard not to wear cotton socks, don’t want to go buy really expensive socks just to throw away.

4. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on
    a daily basis. It’s always interesting to read through articles from other writers and practice a little something from their sites.

5. Lisa says:

So glad I came across your advice. My daughter will be participating in the Pendleton mud run this coming June for the first time and your advice will be put to work! THANK YOU!

6. The note provided that all principal and accrued interest was due in a
    single balloon payment at the end of the note term, and neither principal nor interest could be prepaid.

You need to seek Tax Filing Help if you would like stay
    away from Tax Levy complications like a Wage Levy or Bank Levy.
    Not sure if the IRS has a copy of a 1099 or W-2 wage
    statement.

7. Keep yourself going strong through training sessions or on race working
    day, whether rain or shine teeth whitening with New Balance’s Lightning Dry liner.
    The search for that ideal men yoga pants is really in demand on this
    subject. Some yoga pants were composed of supplies that are irritating for the pores and skin, so you might
    have to become extra cautious in selecting the yoga pants to
    make use of.

8. When I was 16 years old, I broke a bone in my foot and, rather than seeing a doctor
    or getting an x-ray, I continued walking on it for days. Unfortunately, the solutions included by Apple, while
    adequate, aren’t exactly up to the task in my mind.
    One thing to remember, you shouldn’t get too tight a top tank as it will keep your skin wet all the time when you get sweaty.

9. tan says:

The Boyleg demand comes predominantly from those wishing to disguise a larger bottom.
    One should remember that perspiration will cause uneven tanning.
    This premium brand of spray tanning carries a wide range of quality sprays designed for tanning that
    would suit all types of skin.

10. Good day! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us useful information to work on.
    You have done a extraordinary job!

11. With the HCG Drops, the day of finally fitting into a pair
    of skinny jeans will not be a dream after all. This is not the
    energy expenditure with planned exercise. For this reason, HCG dieters report a feeling and appearance of great health and marvel at
    the loss of negative health risks they had as an overweight individual.

12. If the moving affordability is tight, MR can help you locate the best
    deal in a matter of hours. Buying your own home is one of
    the biggest investments and commitments that most people will experience in a lifetime.

Using a yacht delivery service is a simple decision for sea-crossings, but what about moving a motor yacht interstate from say Sydney to Brisbane or San Francisco to Los
    Angeles.

13. Find a company that handles every aspect of a woman’s appearance, including make-up, hair, dress style and body language.
    He still couldn’t believe that he was working for the woman everyone referred to as Mrs.

Raspberry Seed Oil ‘ This is considered a superior source of moisturizer and contains
    skin emollients in the form of alpha and gamma
    tocopherols (Vitamin E), high concentrations of Vitamin A, antioxidants
    and fatty acids.

14. It is therefore necessary to hire a reputed moving service provider who has high quality vehicles
    and equipments for packing, loading and unloading your items.

Everyone wants to get free of these boring tasks of relocation. Since First Call Movers have been local
    movers, long distance movers and have carried out moving assignments for government agencies,
    retail companies yet others, they certainly know a thing much more
    about moving.

15. Hot water causes your pores to open and lets natural skin oils escape.
    This product is safe for sensitive skin types and gives a natural-looking tan throughout the year.

Use an extremely light touch (if any at all) if your skin is already darker there.

16. First thing that you need to be sure of is
    to do the right research, it is important because
    there are a lot of fake websites that can easily fool
    you. When it came time to select the homeopathic h
    - CG product I would use for round two I was intrigued with the
    option of Homeopathic h – CG Pellets. You can consult your neighbors and family members for references.

17. To save money, get several estimates from movers and get a referral from the American Moving & Storage Association. You have to closely examine the
    area where you’re going to move to. Since First Call Movers have been local movers, long distance movers and have carried out moving assignments for
    government agencies, retail companies yet others, they
    certainly know a thing much more about moving.

18. This is much is true, but what some customers don’t realize is that you can help reduce your total bill by doing some services on your own. Narrow down your
    choices to a maximum of three companies based on their answers to your questions and your
    gut feeling. Most movers use weight as a significant factor when developing a
    quote for your current move.

19. This open space provides a well-lit gathering spot for entertaining.
    Just follow the simple instructions-for-painting a lighter color over a
    dark wall, a home improvement project for women who love
    light. Whatever form of finish end result you’re looking for with your kitchen area you will find a selection of fabulous kitchen area styles that may fit your desires flawlessly.

20. The demands of the more mainstream content, such as Facebook and blogging, can leave little time for these extras, and it’s
    important not to become so buried in online activities that
    you steal time away from your core business. You always want to track data relevant to your traffic and conversion rates.
    It’s where promotion is integrated with social network profiles where they could put up your brand, company or picture.

21. Much less pleasant but equally essential is understanding expertise these
    kinds of as cleansing dentures, feeding individuals, having temperatures
    and measuring catheter output, all of which
    totally get ready students for the expertise evaluation test.
    Consult with a veterinarian for the proper dosage based on the individual pig’s weight.
    Oils that are perfect for sealing are Olive oil, jojoba oil, safflower oil or castor oil.

22. 2 bunches green onions, chopped with some green included. When the
    pressure is increased like this its temperature rises dramatically.
    As they are huge, RVs also have a huge checklist of parts
    and components that you need to inspect after
    long storage to ensure smooth and safe driving.

23. Corporate Taxes: All business structures pay taxes on the income made in that particular business.
    When working under GAAP, revenues and gains have completely separate definitions.
    I decided to use their OIC service to lower my tax bill.

24. They will create profit and loss statements from your old bank statements.
    Furthermore, when you do not pay your taxes by the
    deadline you have to pay interest on the unpaid taxes until they are paid in full.
    By acquiring a expense segregation research, it is possible to acquire
    a windfall of tax deductions by “catching-up” previously
    underneath-reporteddepreciation.

25. With that said, there is still a good chance that an offer will be
    accepted if you truly cannot afford to pay
    your back taxes. There are exceptions to the general rule
    that all debts will be wiped out by a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
    Strategies like these are what will potentially save your business a good sum of money from year to year.

26. There is no such thing at the moment but there are goods that promise to stop additional hair loss
    and maybe restore some of the lost hair, if the follicles haven’t
    completely withered away. You can choose among the natural
    remedies, cosmetic products and surgery, and the medications.
    Simply put, the heat destroys the whole hair follicle
    permanently.

27. He relates his the latest practical experience dealing with thousands of patients with the
    HCG diet in his new book, New Pounds and Inches which is available
    at his web site,. It is important to follow some exercising regime with the diet
    plan to gain extra benefits. This will be accomplished while the
    egg cells are stored.

28. On the other hand, internal employees push for salary raises to survive the harsh economy.
    - No experience required: CPA Marketing is something
    that anyone can become involved in, regardless of location, experience or
    knowledge. Does she have the license to practice in your
    state.

29. During the entire packing and moving processes, moving firms of Delhi NCR provides utmost care.
    Moving Companies Usually Know Good Traffic Routes- Bangkok is a huge city.
    If you do not seal your items effectively then there is a prospect of breakage.

30. The results are h – CG diets that allow for dieters to keep on the
    program longer without any metabolic slowing and minimal hormonal
    sensitization, have supervision by licensed doctors who are
    specifically trained to customize the h – CG diet plan according the health
    conditions of each patient as well as prescription h – CG, and unlimited clinical support.

After all, they don’t call them guilty pleasures for no reason. The most popular influence of technology on health is weight loss.

31. Surgeons ask the patient to stop smoking cigarettes several weeks before the
    face lift surgery. Nathan Newman is world renowned for his advanced cosmetic surgery procedures.

If nothing else, it is more “beach and tan” culture than the West LA So many people seeking cosmetic surgery and there are many thousands of them who can afford it.

32. Yet he chose to ask me so many questions about how and why I
    do things, because he could see the profound insight I had built up due to going my own way with
    my own research and testing over the past 7 years. Be sure to go with fresh bait, and stay away from the baits
    that are based on chicken or cat food. The exception to this rule is when fishing structure, there will
    always be a calm spot behind structure that cat fish rest in and it will
    be natural for your bait to settle in this area.

33. Deck Paints says:

You will probably recognise some or all of these as some as used more than others with very great
    success in carp baits:. After users select their avatar they’re transported into their apartment.
    Some day you will have to divide your worms and start a new farm because
    of their rapid reproduction rate.

34. Remember that your ex-girlfriend has moved on and no
    amount of sulking will make her come back so get up and get your life back.
    But also, the comments have affirmed that many are where I was before;
    in a place where they are putting on the happy
    face and hiding their fears from those around them. People
    love to relocate to this place, as there are ample of opportunities for a person in Virginia.

35. On October 15, 2008, a spokeswoman confirmed that Madonna and
    husband Guy Ritchie plan to divorce, which generated more magazine covers like Us Weekly, People magazine, OK magazine and Life & Style magazine.
    s the perfect time for people to entirely release
    themselves and embrace nature. To deal with these fashion difficulties
    you look at a celebrity fashions.

36. tan says:

Tanning allows you to experiment with different styles and looks.
    One should remember that perspiration will cause uneven tanning.
    Moving to some sunny place can be an effective means to get
    an all round glow.

37. 1 hour tan says:

Dark sunsation self tanning lotion has botanical extracts,
    which improve the quality of your skin while offering you
    a dark natural looking tan. So try to follow the tips aforementioned to get rid of the farmer’s tan. Actually, once you get used to working with these tools,
    you’ll probably wonder how you ever lived without them.

38. If you are looking for the best way to file for extension electronically,
    then you should use IRS e-file. Harry Reid says that an investor
    from Bain Capital admitted that Mitt Romney didn’t pay taxes for 10 years.
    Head of House hold is preferable over filing as single.

39. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory,
    Integrative and Comparative Physiology recently published a report that connects hypertension and obesity.
    When the time comes to purchase HCG the very first time, making the effort to look, to check,
    and also to research prices and shipping costs is needed.

These alternatives will still give out the same one
    to two pounds of weight loss per day.

40. Staying inside a tanning bed for lengthy hours still
    have a high risk for the development of skin cancer. So,
    not only do you get a different shade while experimenting with different looks, you also look years younger.
    The excuses the parents give for entering their children are always the same but the real underlying reason is clear.

41. Everyone enjoin ladies towards sign dissipate by means of just one pendant or even hallux joint then when that they check out
    profitable, add more an alternative therefore to their collection-that’s that tyoe of accessories-you will not prop to give up that reserve and even get hold of
    a latest clothing. Since the vast majority of people have no choice but to clothe themselves, there is no excuse for people to wear unattractive clothes.
    Celebs have an extremely large influence, shaping opinions and creating developments:
    hair designs, clothing, devices and a lot much more.

42. Call a local community college and make an appointment with an advisor, find out if you qualify for financial aid, talk
    to them about career options. But also, the comments have affirmed that many are where
    I was before; in a place where they are putting on the happy face and hiding their fears from those around them.

Providing assistance to customers who are trying to relocate is the responsibility of the customer service
    reps.

43. It’s important to consider the partnership, because you will be working closely with the accountant daily, so it’s vital that you feel
    at ease with them. Your accountant should be referring business to you and you
    to other businesses. If you owe a lot more than $10,000 or
    you still can’t afford to make the payments with an installment agreement then move on to amount 3.

44. skin cancer says:

And, it just works with a soft laser which utilizes less energy than a 40-watt
    light bulb. A shampoo designed for hair loss is fortified with nourishing elements to strengthen hair roots.
    Discuss your hair loss problems with a qualified professional.

45. Once you made the decision to relocate, prepare, arrange and analyze it via correct signifies.
    You may also ask for quotes from different firms and make comparison. Typical of many unsuspecting shoppers, the inquiry
    suggested they hadn’t taken a realistic inventory of the
    scope of services needed to move them, investigated the legitimacy of the
    advertising service pitching the ‘unbelievably’ low, low price, or thoroughly
    vetted the backgrounds of each of the transportation service providers
    they were considering surrendering all of their worldly possessions to.